Clutch Noise

I really think it is the cold wheather that's causing the noise now.. We had a couple of warmer days recently and I didn't hear it at all.. There was also a day when it was like 10 degrees and I heard it a little when I was just idling.. I don't know.. Pretty weird

UPDATE! A video of my trans whine that started at 10k and now at 19k miles on the car

yeah you can clearly hear it in the video. I'd be concerned too.

I know of one guy who went for about 100k miles before he decided to go get it taken care of. It can go for a while, it's just annoying. But it's all going to depend on what conditions you drive in and how, in general, your clutching abilities are.

I'm at 115K and taking my 2012 Si in for coolant flush, water pump, brake pads, etc. A big one as far as regular scheduled maintenance. I've had the clutch noise described in the TSB since about 5K and just never felt like getting it looked at, but since this is my first service where the car will be in the shop for more than a day I'm finally going to have them look at it and quote a repair.

I haven't noticed any performance issues with the clutch, just an intermittent annoying noise, usually in 1st going uphill.

Just took my car to the dealer for a workup on my clutch noises at the take-up point that are getting worse w/ cold weather and occurs after not driving for long periods of time. They said nothing could be reproduced.... what are the next steps I can take, because I know this is definitely an issue based on my 2012 Civic?

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll go to the dealership that sold me the car and hope that is covered by their 2 year warranty on it. Worst case scenario and it's not covered, would anyone know about how long the car can go with this noise until the clutch starts failing? Its not something I want to do but money is kind of tight right now.
I don't think this issue is going to cause the stock clutch to fail anytime soon (I'm talking 200k or more miles). The part that is wearing are the hub springs, and they aren't going to fail unless one gets seared in half, which I don't think is ever going to happen (maybe after 600k miles or more). However, that leaves to question what those springs are coming in contact with that is causing the damage; Honda clearly hasn't figured that out or they would be fixing the problem with the replacement clutches. When they did my tear down the Master Tech noted that my clutch was hardly worn at all. It's just an annoying noise; it's not causing your clutch to slip more than normal or anything like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Just took my car to the dealer for a workup on my clutch noises at the take-up point that are getting worse w/ cold weather and occurs after not driving for long periods of time. They said nothing could be reproduced.... what are the next steps I can take, because I know this is definitely an issue based on my 2012 Civic?
Further back in the thread it's described how you can easily reproduce the noise; it sounds like you already caught onto that though. Practice starting from a stop going up a hill near your dealership, with a little gas and a few tries you can get the noise to happen on command, or at least 75% of the time. Then take the tech out with you and show them the noise. If the tech says they can't hear it get a different tech. Hell, get a Master Tech to come on the drive. The noise is very obvious for anyone who knows what they are listening for. When I took mine out the tech identified it before I even heard it the first time cuz it barely made the noise, then I made it make the noise several more times just to be sure.

Honda knows this is a problem. The dealership telling you there is nothing to be done or that the noise is not reproductable is a cop out and an unacceptable response. If you have to, go to another dealership, but either way get that noise identified before your warranty runs out so that you can decide to do the replacement or not on their dime. Don't let them force you to pay a cent over this issue.

Anyone had any recent updates on this? Just bought my 2014 Civic Si Sedan from Carmax Used with roughly 62,000 miles on it (Just outside of the Honda power train warranty) and my car does it coming out of Neutral into 1st about half way let out clutch as it's just engaging the engine to trans. I would describe mine as a sort of "Wookiee" sound. I kinda realized it's more noticeable during the Texas days of heat than at night when it's a bit cooler but still there none the less. Carmax offers a 30 Day warranty on the parts on the car so I'm crossing my fingers that they hear it and decide to replace the clutch assembly or something but any updates as to what part it REALLY is would be a big help.

Anyone had any recent updates on this? Just bought my 2014 Civic Si Sedan from Carmax Used with roughly 62,000 miles on it (Just outside of the Honda power train warranty) and my car does it coming out of Neutral into 1st about half way let out clutch as it's just engaging the engine to trans. I would describe mine as a sort of "Wookiee" sound. I kinda realized it's more noticeable during the Texas days of heat than at night when it's a bit cooler but still there none the less. Carmax offers a 30 Day warranty on the parts on the car so I'm crossing my fingers that they hear it and decide to replace the clutch assembly or something but any updates as to what part it REALLY is would be a big help.
This might help @RTG210
http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/clutch-noise.6191/page-6#post-334037

Yeah I saw that one. Read this whole thread pretty much just didn't now if that ended up being the actual issue or not. Hopefully Honda releases a recall on all of these for that problem. I saw mostly the 12' Si's on here but I imagine they have used the same stuff through the 9th gen civic 6 speeds.
My 13 SI dose it bad too. I had no luck with my local dealership go get it fixed. But it does not seem to interfere with anything.

My 13 SI dose it bad too. I had no luck with my local dealership go get it fixed. But it does not seem to interfere with anything.
Yeah most definitely seems like more of an annoying Honda type thing lol but with any luck Carmax will stand behind their 30 day warranty and replace the assembly or something. We shall see.

I got my car back yesterday, the new clutch feels smooth as butter. I had requested that they show me my old clutch so that I could see for myself where the problem was, take pictures, and possibly a video - all of which are posted below; Thursday I got to stop in and see the parts.

My friction plate looked fantastic, the tech said it looked like it only had 5-10k miles on it (I passed 33,333 mi earlier today). The flywheel was in great shape too, though it had some minor scoring so that you could see darkened rings running around where the clutch contacted it; it looked exactly like a broken-in brake rotor.

The dampening springs inside the clutch assembly were clearly loose: two more than the others, the third had a tiny bit of play, and the last didn't move at all when wiggling it (the two pink colored springs were not as loose). The two darker springs had multiple scorch marks on them, some quite deep, and the tech took the time to point out that those should not be there, as those springs should never come in contact with other parts inside the assembly. The pink springs were not spared, they both had the same scorch marks, though fewer, and the spring that would not move only had one that I saw. The tech also confirmed that the new clutch he put in (I did not get to see the new part to compare) was the exact same as the old part, just minus the wear.

View: http://youtu.be/TmRiscPgZKI

View attachment 45240

View attachment 45241

View attachment 45242

View attachment 45243

In this last image on the right end of the spring you can see one of the bigger scorch marks. There is a smaller one on the left end, and the edge of one poking out from behind the housing on the first coil in from the right.

I'm not attacking you in any way but I'm sorry, but the tech has no idea what he's talking about. He simply points to something that's worn out and blames the noise on the wear. Although the springs on our clutches are known to come loose, it's not the cause for the 1st gear noise on takeoff. Just to make sure we're on the same page, here's a video of my sound and we can confirm that it is "that sound":

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_6hI4u3Nik

The clutch i'm running in the video is an Action stage 4 unsprung 6 puck clutch with an OEM throwout bearing. Crazy how the springs came loose on that as well huh?
IMG_4903_zpsihzvsbnr.jpg

IMG_5195_zpsjpt62mnn.jpg

Funny part is, when I had my OEM clutch, it never made that noise. After running my Stage 4 clutch + a new OEM throwout bearing for a few thousand miles, the noise came up.
Problem completely went away after I switched to an aftermarket throwout bearing, and has been noise free for the past 4000 or so miles.

Tl;dr
Oem clutch == No noise
Stage 4 unsprung clutch with OEM throwout bearing == 1st gear noise
Stage 4 clutch (same clutch) with aftermarket throwout bearing == No noise

I'm not attacking you in any way but I'm sorry, but the tech has no idea what he's talking about. He simply points to something that's worn out and blames the noise on the wear. Although the springs on our clutches are known to come loose, it's not the cause for the 1st gear noise on takeoff. Just to make sure we're on the same page, here's a video of my sound and we can confirm that it is "that sound":

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_6hI4u3Nik

The clutch i'm running in the video is an Action stage 4 unsprung 6 puck clutch with an OEM throwout bearing. Crazy how the springs came loose on that as well huh?
IMG_4903_zpsihzvsbnr.jpg

IMG_5195_zpsjpt62mnn.jpg

Funny part is, when I had my OEM clutch, it never made that noise. After running my Stage 4 clutch + a new OEM throwout bearing for a few thousand miles, the noise came up.
Problem completely went away after I switched to an aftermarket throwout bearing, and has been noise free for the past 4000 or so miles.

Tl;dr
Oem clutch == No noise
Stage 4 unsprung clutch with OEM throwout bearing == 1st gear noise
Stage 4 clutch (same clutch) with aftermarket throwout bearing == No noise

First I've seen anyone take the time to put together the evidence for the throw out bearing being the culprit. Just wish you would post about it where it was being talked about instead of dragging things here and talking down to everyone in your 1st post on this forum, ever. Also, your photo links are dead. Thanks though, it's nice to see someone put in the effort.

Last edited:
I can't believe Honda hasn't come out with some type of bulletin for this issue. SO many people are having the same noise issue. It's obviously a problem.
I'd be curious to hear if the issue is only with one particular model year or if this is happening with all 9th gens?
It' happening with my 2014 honda civic si I have 63000 miles

Back