Official 'What did you do to your car today?' Thread

I spent a few days installing a dash camera system and the auto dimming mirror.

I started by dropping the headliner to make running the wire back to the rear camera easier. Plus, it basically needed to be done to install the mirror harness (the installation instructions basically tell you to just pull down the front but I pulled the whole thing down).
542FA546-949D-4F0A-B58B-F6C6576D0B2A.jpeg

135B14B3-8643-42DD-864F-DC84DDDC359C.jpeg

0B2EDF90-6EF9-4D72-AA37-83DC0FB618D5.jpeg

The dash became a convenient spot to store things (please ignore how dirty the car is, I needed/wanted it dirty to make the widows peak on the windshield super easy to see to aide in camera placement; plus, it is pollen season so I'm not bothering too much):
0E935FEE-5200-4B4E-8034-6203BEC7953C.jpeg

Working on getting the wiring all run:
4742A246-D524-42CE-9B7C-A9ECA9EA730B.jpeg

Rear camera installation (the cord was way longer than really needed so I ran some excess over to the right side and then back to the left and forward along the harness for the sunroof actuator; even then, there were still about 3 loops front to back of excess cable):
067AA6A6-BADA-4537-976C-E659254C9C3E.jpeg

Finished placement of the rear camera:
9C19E7ED-9EB7-4387-89C3-F661EAD71C80.jpeg

Front camera. Ignore the windshield, I was using a spay bottle with soap water to check if the wiper line would block part of the camera's view; I really hate the odd wiper design on this car, it just made everything more difficult; this was the 3rd one of these camera installs I have done and the wiper issue was by far the biggest pain when it came to determining where I wanted the camera to go for final placement. In the end, I went for higher up and off center to get it into the wiper arc; both of my other camera installs were easy enough to get placed in the center as they had a standard wiper setup.
A1E88476-4FC6-462B-BEFC-EC244AF3123A.jpeg

Finally done after everything was reinstalled (you can see the rear camera in the mirror, it is mounted high enough to not really be much bother in the field of view):
951FDEC7-1F81-4B6E-B7D5-8A6CFA8B3E96.jpeg

All in all, it was a 1-day job that I spread out over 3 days. Besides, it gave me an excuse to drive my Stealth to work during the nice weather we've been having. But, it is raining now, and should be tomorrow; so, I'll be driving the Civic to work.

Last edited:

I started by dropping the headliner to make running the wire back to the rear camera easier. Plus, it basically needed to be done to install the mirror harness (the installation instructions basically tell you to just pull down the front but I pulled the whole thing down).
View attachment 62784

View attachment 62785

View attachment 62788

The dash became a convenient spot to store things (please ignore how dirty the car is, I needed/wanted it dirty to make the widows peak on the windshield super easy to see to aide in camera placement; plus, it is pollen season so I'm not bothering too much):
View attachment 62787

Working on getting the wiring all run:
View attachment 62786

Rear camera installation (the cord was way longer than really needed so I ran some excess over to the right side and then back to the left and forward along the harness for the sunroof actuator; even then, there were still about 3 loops front to back of excess cable):
View attachment 62789

Finished placement of the rear camera:
View attachment 62790

Front camera. Ignore the windshield, I was using a spay bottle with soap water to check if the wiper line would block part of the camera's view; I really hate the odd wiper design on this car, it just made everything more difficult; this was the 3rd one of these camera installs I have done and the wiper issue was by far the biggest pain when it came to determining where I wanted the camera to go for final placement. In the end, I went for higher up and off center to get it into the wiper arc; both of my other camera installs were easy enough to get placed in the center as they had a standard wiper setup.
View attachment 62791

Finally done after everything was reinstalled (you can see the rear camera in the mirror, it is mounted high enough to not really be much bother in the field of view):
View attachment 62792

All in all, it was a 1-day job that I spread out over 3 days. Besides, it gave me an excuse to drive my Stealth to work during the nice weather we've been having. But, it is raining now, and should be tomorrow; so, I'll be driving the Civic to work.
Nicely done. You may want to post your camera info into this thread as well.

I havent bought a dash cam yet but I noticed the spot where I would be mounting the dash is always covered in dirt as the wipers never reach that area of the windshield.

Is this an issue?

Also, random question but has anyone bought a larger wiper length to clean their window? Mine are 26 / 24 inches but would 28 / 26 inch be possible? That dirty triangular spot always bothers me.

5Rlduw7.jpg

I havent bought a dash cam yet but I noticed the spot where I would be mounting the dash is always covered in dirt as the wipers never reach that area of the windshield.

Is this an issue?

Also, random question but has anyone bought a larger wiper length to clean their window? Mine are 26 / 24 inches but would 28 / 26 inch be possible? That dirty triangular spot always bothers me.

5Rlduw7.jpg
28/24 is what is listed as max online

Is this an issue?

The dirty area in the center that you mentioned in your post is what I referred to as the "widow's peak" in mine (referring to common hair lines). So, yes, to put the camera centered, it is a problem in my opinion. Although, I'll admit, I did not consider longer wipers as a compensation for reducing the unswept area and bringing the camera more centered. In the end, I offset mine to the left of center to get the camera body high and out of the way (it would have to be fairly low and in the way to get the camera below the widow's peak and centered) and in the wiper's cleaned area. I need to take some pics of mine from the outside to show where it is placed for a better reference for everyone (my car is still pretty dirty though due to the pollen and weather we've been having in VA).

I must have the longer blades because ive never noticed that big of a widows peak on my car.

i think your view angle from in the car makes it less obvious

Nothing today, but I started routing my positive battery cable to the trunk yesterday. I always get frustrated and quit for the day when things don’t go my way. Trying to keep everything as clean as possible by running it through the fender liner but there’s not a lot of room especially when it’s wrapped in a jacket.

Today, I had the pleasure of replacing the battery in my Civic. It tried to leave me stranded at work yesterday (and my little jump pack was in my other car); but, since it is a manual, I was able to roll start it and get on my way.

And, following up on previous conversations in this thread, I also took the time to take some pics of my dash cam placement (from the outside); for those interested. Yes, I know my car is still filthy; I tried to wash it yesterday but was crunched for time as I had a post-work function I had to get to (along with a few things to take care of in between).
B44FB34B-D59F-4D43-B4E4-CDDF6318CA35.jpeg

85F70DE0-DFBD-4F29-868E-5573E7DA4A87.jpeg

BD13217C-5459-4DF4-B9FE-D440A3EC22C6.jpeg

Back