The official "Ask a Detailer Thread"

Stoners Tarminator works pretty well on bugs. I hit my front bumper with that and then a quick detailer after. Works well between washes and only takes like 5 min.

Tarminator spray on, wipe off. Then Poorboys World Spray and Wipe QD.

stoner-tarminator-bug-tar-10oz.jpg

Tarminator is awesome. Summit Racing sells them for a pretty decent price. I bought 6 cans for $30 shipped. Lol.

a paste wax is going to last a lot longer than a spray wax applied after washing your car. I've tried 3 or 4 different spray waxes, and I honestly can't say I noticed much difference between them. Maybe others have a brand they've liked more than another.

Paste wax? Collinite 845. Also called collinite insulator wax. It's a beast. Easy on easy off, the thinner the application the better, and it lasts a looong time. ( for a wax)

I haven't used many spray waxes, Meguiars ultimate spray wax seems pretty decent and smells good though. I use it as a booster after maintenance washes and a drying aid. I wipe the car down with MF towels and spray the spray wax on at the same time then buff dry with a second towel to polish/buff the wax.

I swear the best thing ive used yet is Chemical Guys Blacklight. It's more of a sealant though. Great shine and lasts long. Goes on easiest of anything ive tried, by hand, and buffs off just as nice.

If you are gonna do a lot by hand invest in something called the polishin' pal and a 4" Lake country blue pad for wax/sealants.
I think pinnacle makes the polishin pal.

http://www.pinnaclewax.com/polishing-pal-handle.html

This thing is awesome.
pinnaclewax_2225_21876896

I personally have one in my wash bucket. I know there are others who have them as well. My next purchase will probably be an electric leaf blower. KennyGS swears by using his leaf blower to dry his car entirely. Removes all chances of having scratches happen. Something like this - http://www.amazon.com/Toro-51585-2-Speed-Electric-Blower/dp/B0012QLVRM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345156831&sr=8-1&keywords=electric leaf blower

I have a friend still in Denver that works blending/matching paint(manager now), and has rebuilt cars/trucks(old)....... One thing I brought with me from him was using a leaf blower............ And not getting wax into areas I can't get it out of. both have the same purpose get the water off & out of the car.

I'm sold on the leaf blower. +1

thanks webby, and does anyone have any thoughts on the 'absorber' ? http://www.amazon.com/The-Absorber-Synthetic-Drying-Chamois/dp/B0000AY69V . ive used it twice and i like how much water it retains but i havent noticed any scratches or anything of the like yet.
I use the "absorber" and I think it does a great job of drying off the car. Your right, it does hold lots of water and I like the fact that it's so easy to wring out. I've never noticed any scratches from using it. I have a few though. One nice new one for drying the car and one or two for drying wheels, door jams, under the hood and inside the trunk etc.
I'm sure a leaf blower would do a fantastic job of blasting off the water as well especially from the places that the water hides in and drips later on. (mirrors, trunk etc.)

does polish & buffing get rid of swirls and light scratches ? dad removed snow off my car with a broom and got them everywhere on the car =(

Yeah it sure does. If they are deep enough to get your fingernail caught on you can reduce the appearance but you won't be able to get rid of it completely.

Wax or sealant?? and what is the best product that will give the best protection?
I copied this from post#8........
since we all like trying out now products, but my biggest "pet peeve" if you will is the "what is the best looking wax/sealant for my car" question. Answer: Only you can decide that as we all see things differently. Proper polishing makes up 95% percent of the final look, and the difference in waxes/sealants is very very little. Most would not be able to even tell the subtle differences between them at high noon on a sunny day.

Yeah thats mostly true. You really can't tell much difference if you use it correctly.

For longevity if you don't want to have to redo it often.... sealant.

Hands down a great wax, if you ask anyone, is Collinite 845, also known as insulator wax.

Best combo for gloss, shine, and durability that I like is Chemical Guys Blacklight with Collinite over it. Or use a different wax and top it all off with the CG V7 hybrid spray sealant.

Online probably. See if you can look up a place that lists themselves as auto finishing or autofinishers.

I don't know how far it is from you but Robert Automotive Supply is a full Meguiars dealer. They should have something quite good. Probably call them first though.

416 964 6876

Robert Automotive Supply & Hardware
1375 Dundas St W
Toronto, ON M6J 3L5

Back