Sunofwolf Stock Tuning with Hondata!

I don't see why you need 3.5 if the pipes are all 3", it simply won't increase the air going into the engine because you stick a bigger filter on there its going to flow at 3" at the exhaust. A engine air flow is only going the same at both ends. If the exhaust was 3.5 inch's you would see a big gain. You can't stuff 3.5 inch into 3" no matter what you do- it's just a waste of dough just like the srt-4 stock filter was 3"-the gain would only come from a cold air filter or a forced air flow like getting air from the fog light-but not good for dirt or water-Win- the stock air filter set up!:lildevil::pianodance:
I am running a carquest air filter that has shown to add 3HP over the stock one but still filters better than K+N and its dry filter perhaps that all you need to do-it costs like $12 or less. The only thing I have found that really makes any extra power that works well is changing the exhaust every where from the engine to the tips to 3" that matches the stock 3"intake perfectly and a tune. the only way to get more is to add a supercharger or a turbo but that adds on all kinds of new problems not really needed for the DD. CARQUEST air filter, 3" exhaust with high flow cat and tune. That all I am going to do for the engine. add rear 24 sway bar, add buddy shifter-those I can do that right now.

Last edited:
That sucks for you guy's. You could always swap back the factory stuff but year after year I could only imagine the pain it would be.
Right. If it was easier to work on my car is consider it, bit with me having to do renegade work it's always shifty doing anything that's could leave the car not running for any length of time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I don't see why you need 3.5 if the pipes are all 3", it simply won't increase the air going into the engine because you stick a bigger filter on there its going to flow at 3" at the exhaust. A engine air flow is only going the same at both ends. If the exhaust was 3.5 inch's you would see a big gain. You can't stuff 3.5 inch into 3" no matter what you do- it's just a waste of dough just like the srt-4 stock filter was 3"-the gain would only come from a cold air filter or a forced air flow like getting air from the fog light-but not good for dirt or water-Win- the stock air filter set up!:lildevil::pianodance:
I am running a carquest air filter that has shown to add 3HP over the stock one but still filters better than K+N and its dry filter perhaps that all you need to do-it costs like $12 or less. The only thing I have found that really makes any extra power that works well is changing the exhaust every where from the engine to the tips to 3" that matches the stock 3"intake perfectly and a tune. the only way to get more is to add a supercharger or a turbo but that adds on all kinds of new problems not really needed for the DD. CARQUEST air filter, 3" exhaust with high flow cat and tune. That all I am going to do for the engine. add rear 24 sway bar, add buddy shifter-those I can do that right now.
The 3.5 inch does refer to the intake piping.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

That's why I have three cars, when one is broke I drive the other one. If the intake is 3.5 and the exhaust is 3", the exhaust cannot use the extra 1/2 of air. It could use ram air or cold air better but adds bugs and the worst a blown engine that got water into it-for me I think the stock setup is actually perfect. We just had a bad storm with heavy Heavy hard rain abd all kinds of crap flying though the air- I drove my beater neon and it almost didn't work-may need a new starter.

Last edited:

No no no!!! The stock system is a well designed but not a full 3" system for aftermarket anything smaller than 3" will rob power. The 3.5" intake is a 3.5" measurement of the inside pipe the filter is something like 4.5" to 8" idk I did not measure the filter. Also the CAI have less bends and pockets to allow air to travel freely.

Well what 3.5 air filter actually works well- some of them have problems with install and other issues?. I looked at the plr air filter and it looked not so good. So the stock filter is not 3" has anyone actually knows how much it flows, it seems very few aftermarket air filters are even matching the stock one. Looks like you have to take the whole car apart to install aftermarket air filters. There is likely some extra power there, but can cause some other problems. I should try and tune the car the way it is and see what happens.

I can install the PRL, Skunk2, Acuity CAI in 30 minutes. All you have to do is remove the old intake plumbing, remove battery and tray, use jack to lift transmission a tad pull trans mount bolt install battery relocation tray, reinstall battery install intake plumbing connect MAF with extender and start turning.

I can install the PRL, Skunk2, Acuity CAI in 30 minutes. All you have to do is remove the old intake plumbing, remove battery and tray, use jack to lift transmission a tad pull trans mount bolt install battery relocation tray, reinstall battery install intake plumbing connect MAF with extender and start turning.

You still have the Skunk2? I found a deal for one and I'm trying to decided between just doing the intake resonator delete and getting the Skunk2.

2012-13 is 60mm or 2.37"
2014-15 is 64mm or 2.5"

Honda bumped up to 2.5" because the 2.37" was way to small. The 2.75" is a huge improvement alone over the factory exhaust since it is better bent and larger diameter better flowing components and lighter. 3" is good for NA and for boosted being NA the only difference you will see is a couple HP nothing you will be able to tell without a dyno.

But if the stock piping is only 2.37 and the Skunk2 is 3.5 that seems like it would make a world of difference. Especially considering I already have a FlashPro.

I believe the factory intake pipe is 3". Honda did well on the intake but really needs to be opened up to 3.5'. If you decide to go drop in filter be careful with oil socked filterf it can cause you to constantly clean your MAF sensor.

Where are these differences in diameter? Is it 2.37 up to the airbox and then 3 from airbox to TB?

Well what 3.5 air filter actually works well- some of them have problems with install and other issues?. I looked at the plr air filter and it looked not so good. So the stock filter is not 3" has anyone actually knows how much it flows, it seems very few aftermarket air filters are even matching the stock one. Looks like you have to take the whole car apart to install aftermarket air filters. There is likely some extra power there, but can cause some other problems. I should try and tune the car the way it is and see what happens.

None of the filters are actually 3.5in. The sizing refers to the piping I'd think. Rarely is the filter size what is being referred to. The whole car doesn't come apart, just the drivers wheel well. The couple other CAI I've ever installed always go in the wheel well, and never are too difficult of an install.

You still have the Skunk2? I found a deal for one and I'm trying to decided between just doing the intake resonator delete and getting the Skunk2.

But if the stock piping is only 2.37 and the Skunk2 is 3.5 that seems like it would make a world of difference. Especially considering I already have a FlashPro.

Where are these differences in diameter? Is it 2.37 up to the airbox and then 3 from airbox to TB?

None of the filters are actually 3.5in. The sizing refers to the piping I'd think. Rarely is the filter size what is being referred to. The whole car doesn't come apart, just the drivers wheel well. The couple other CAI I've ever installed always go in the wheel well, and never are too difficult of an install.
The measurements they were talking about referred to exhaust pipe diameter (2.37” etc). Kind of confusing because they were talking about intakes and exhausts.

The measurements they were talking about referred to exhaust pipe diameter (2.37” etc). Kind of confusing because they were talking about intakes and exhausts.

Oh, okay. So the stock intake piping is 3" all the way?

def not 3" on the intake piping. Look at the resonator delete diy. It twists and bends/isn't smooth piping and is not 3"

http://9thcivic.com/forum/threads/resonator-delete-si-sedan.4811/

Duh, I don't know why that didn't occur to me. :confused: Of course that piping isn't 3in from the resonator.

@fahnix
Sorry for the confusion, once I get time I'll measure the each Piping section for you when I get time.

All good. Had I paid a bit more attention I might have noticed that.

If it's not trouble I would be interested in the diameters. I'm going to go ahead and pick up the Skunk2 CAI but maybe I'll do the resonator delete first, and then install the CAI a few weeks later and see if I can actually tell the difference.

Duh, I don't know why that didn't occur to me. :confused: Of course that piping isn't 3in from the resonator.

All good. Had I paid a bit more attention I might have noticed that.

If it's not trouble I would be interested in the diameters. I'm going to go ahead and pick up the Skunk2 CAI but maybe I'll do the resonator delete first, and then install the CAI a few weeks later and see if I can actually tell the difference.

I had the Skunk2 intake but I had sold it 2 months ago. You will need a tune once you put the Skunk2 on due to the larger volume of air I got a CEL about 2 miles into my drive when I put mine on.

I had the Skunk2 intake but I had sold it 2 months ago. You will need a tune once you put the Skunk2 on due to the larger volume of air I got a CEL about 2 miles into my drive when I put mine on.
I wonder how the reflash will run with it. What made you sell it? Did you go back to stock or to the Acuity?

I ended up turbocharging my car. The reflash is just a fondation to start turning from sometimes they work ok and on other cars they run worse but it should be ok to run on the reflash until you get a tune. Just know you should not push the car much.

Can't get a hold of Rob Rainer- got a phone number? Facebook isn't helping too much
any more tuner's . I just want a stock tune for 93 and the shifter fixed for software lag. I am looking to later on have a full exhaust and CAI intake, short shifter, 24mm rear sway bar. I have to go slow so not the upset Honda too much.

Just load the reflash map until you’re ready for a real tune.

Back