Buddy Club Quick Shift Kit

Loved reading this thread. It got funny right above :rotfl:. CappyKD. So how's the Buddy Club short shifter package? Is the shift lever the same, shorter, or longer overall, than oem? Reason I wonder is I've heard it sits up an inch higher than stock. I'm already shorter than stock, love it, and have a short shift adapter worth @30% shorter throw, so I wonder how much I might like this. And, side by side, the two cages look identical. Thx.

It sits up a little higher, but the BC knob is recessed more so the knob height is around stock maybe a little taller. I love the shifts!!! If you are already at 30% I don't know how much you will gain. The CT Eng short shift adapter requires cutting a small part of the factory shifter base and not re-attaching a cable to the base, the BC shifter does not. The cages are not identical but they are very close. i can do most shifts with one finger when just cruising, I can't say for sure how that is in comparison to your setup. HTH.

Kirk

Those of you with the Buddy Club short shifter and Hybrid Racing cable bushings, have you had any issues with the shift lever returning to the center while in neutral? After installing my Hybrid Racing bushings, when moving the lever to the left it does not spring back whereas when it's moved to the right it does. I put my OEM bushings back in, the lever springs back to the center as usual from the left and right. Since then I have put the Hybrid Racing bushings back in and the issue still persists. I haven't tried putting the OEM shifter assembly back in yet to diagnose the issue.

Are you sure the cable locks are tightened down all the way and aligned right in the shifter base? I see potential for issues there, I had to redo one of mine that looked right, but was not. Did you do the base bushings too?

Kirk

Yes. That's them. I also ended up changing the knob to the BC limited edition one, which looks just like the one pictured above but has a larger diameter ball (about stock.) and the ball is black instead of white. I highly recommend the whole setup, bushings and shifter combo.

Kirk

Are you sure the cable locks are tightened down all the way and aligned right in the shifter base? I see potential for issues there, I had to redo one of mine that looked right, but was not. Did you do the base bushings too?

Kirk

Yeah I made sure to check them and I did base bushings when I installed the Buddy Club short shifter. I've spoken to several companies regarding this issue and all have not heard of this issue before lol. I popped top of the center console off this morning before work to examine the center return spring, it appears to be fine. I've been offered free transmission springs, like the ones manufactured by MTEC Industries, which may resolve this issue but they're for the K-series and I have yet to get a straight answer if they''ll fit the R-series.

Last edited:
It sits up a little higher, but the BC knob is recessed more so the knob height is around stock maybe a little taller. I love the shifts!!! If you are already at 30% I don't know how much you will gain. The CT Eng short shift adapter requires cutting a small part of the factory shifter base and not re-attaching a cable to the base, the BC shifter does not. The cages are not identical but they are very close. i can do most shifts with one finger when just cruising, I can't say for sure how that is in comparison to your setup. HTH.

Kirk
Very thorough reply. Much appreciated. One finger shifts? No. There's a lot more travel than that involved. I think I'm only about 25% shorter throws than stock. And from the looks of the BC cage pics you posted, (althought the very top is obscured), it looks like I could just tap the threads down a little lower if I wanted to. So, I may still do th BC! I'm thinking that, long-term, without having had any trouble from the present adapter setup, for those who are considering it as a cheap alternative to something like this, your hand is on the shifter 24/7 in your car. There is no more constant driver output to the car than with the shifter. The shortest throw, every time, would be a constant reminder of how nice this 6sp is. I think I'm sold. Thanks Kirk.

Last edited:
Very thorough reply. Much appreciated. One finger shifts? No. There's a lot more travel than that involved. I think I'm only about 25% shorter throws than stock. And from the looks of the BC cage pics you posted, (althought the very top is obscured), it looks like I could just tap the threads down a little lower if I wanted to. So, I may still do th BC! I'm thinking that, long-term, without having had any trouble from the present adapter setup, for those who are considering it as a cheap alternative to something like this, your hand is on the shifter 24/7 in your car. There is no more constant driver output to the car than with the shifter. The shortest throw, every time, would be a constant reminder of how nice this 6sp is. I think I'm sold. Thanks Kirk.

NP happy to help.

I get 1 finger shifts between 1-2, 3-4, 5-6 and the 2-1, 4-3, and 6-5 shifts!!! the cross gate shifts are two finger. Go for the BC, you won't regret it.

Kirk

OK. I've had a short shifter conversion from ebay ($17.00) since November without any problems. The shifts are much shorter. A week ago I bought HybridRacing underhood shifter cable bushings and they make a huge difference in the feel of the shifts. Much tighter.

Today I removed the oem shifter cage with the short shift converter and installed a Buddy Club Racing Spec shifter. Same as discussed in this thread above. I also installed aluminum shifter base bushings with the BC. I did not have them in the oem cage. Here's my take. The BC shifter is almost exactly the same height as my oem shifter once installed. I had cut 1/2 inch off the top of my oem shifter. So the BC maybe a little shorter than stock.

Next, the BC shifts are crisper, but I attribute that to the new aluminum base bushings.

The BC shifts are NO SHORTER than the oem shifter with the converter installed. They may be slightly longer than oem + converter. Remember, I've been short shifting with the converter for many months, so I think I would notice any difference one way or the other.

In terms of longevity, I'm sure that the BC shifter is better than a converter, because it's one piece. It also has a tab to reconnect the brown clip that holds the wire loom to the right side of the shifter, which just sits loose once the oem cage is cut for a conversion, and comes with the plastic cup on the shifter end.

Overall, I am a little disappointed that the BC shifts are no shorter than my prior setup, but I had no data indicating that they would be. I am happy with the product, which is top-notch quality.

I'm wondering if the BC could handle the converter, or if it would scrape the tunnel or create other problems:confuzzled:.

Buddy club.jpg

Last edited:
If you are concerned about the height, you can run a die down the lever about another 3/4 to 1" and with my skunk 2 knob, it actually sits a little lower than stock. I don't even have to cut the lever to get it to screw down all the way

If you are concerned about the height, you can run a die down the lever about another 3/4 to 1" and with my skunk 2 knob, it actually sits a little lower than stock. I don't even have to cut the lever to get it to screw down all the way
Yup. I did that to the oem but it was not low enough even when hte inside top of the knob bottomed out on the additional threads. So I cut 1/2 off and ran a die down further. IIRC, there is a good inch of extra thread in the photo above.
I haven't done anything to the BC. Just ran the knob down til shifter hit the top of the ball inside, then backed off a hair.

I called Buddy Club and mentioned that my shifter throws seemed a little longer than with the converted oem shifter. The tech was not surprised and said most users are going from stock and notice a huge difference. I aked him if he knew whether adding a converter to the BC would scrape the tunnel or create problems. He said that he could not recommend doing it, was unaware of any problems doing it, and that he knows that others have done it pretty regularly. Could not condone it or tell me anything else. I may do it just to see how short the shifts become with the BC + converter.

I called Buddy Club and mentioned that my shifter throws seemed a little longer than with the converted oem shifter. The tech was not surprised and said most users are going from stock and notice a huge difference. I aked him if he knew whether adding a converter to the BC would scrape the tunnel or create problems. He said that he could not recommend doing it, was unaware of any problems doing it, and that he knows that others have done it pretty regularly. Could not condone it or tell me anything else. I may do it just to see how short the shifts become with the BC + converter.
I have a hard time seeing it fitting

Oh, okay. Just guessing then. I wonder how others have been able to use the setup if it won't fit. Can you help me with that, too?
Don't be rude.

I can't speak for the people who have supposedly done it but it doesn't seem to me like there would be enough room, or that it could cause problems with the cable. In the side by side pic above it looks like the buddy club shifter puts the bottom of the lever very close to as low as the stock shifter with the adapter. You'd be adding another couple inches of length to that by putting the adapter on the buddy club shifter, which would be similar in length to using two adapters on the stock shifter (if someone were to do that lol). If that would fit correctly, why wouldn't they have made the adapter longer and given people shorter shifts?

I would be extremely surprised if it fit (and worked well). Won't believe it until I see it.

Last edited:
Don't be rude.

I can't speak for the people who have supposedly done it but it doesn't seem to me like there would be enough room, or that it could cause problems with the cable. In the side by side pic above it looks like the buddy club shifter puts the bottom of the lever very close to as low as the stock shifter with the adapter. You'd be adding another couple inches of length to that by putting the adapter on the buddy club shifter, which would be similar in length to using two adapters on the stock shifter (if someone were to do that lol). If that would fit correctly, why wouldn't they have made the adapter longer and given people shorter shifts?

I would be extremely surprised if it fit (and worked well). Won't believe it until I see it.

Having spoken directly to BC personnel about it, people have done this mod. I don't think they're lying to me about it. You have to trust someone, Trustedestruction, right?

I'm told the problem is not getting it to fit (note that the added length of the adapter to a shifter is only about 1/2 to 5/8," despite how large it looks. I measured that). The problem that I can foresee is that there might be added stress on the cables because the driver has added leverage. Slamming gears might break them? It might also make the shift pattern so close together that it is difficult to discern proper gear shift positions.

But, hey, thanks for your input! If I ever add the adapter to the BC, I'll be sure to post up the results!

Having spoken directly to BC personnel about it, people have done this mod. I don't think they're lying to me about it. You have to trust someone, Trustedestruction, right?
Stop trying to make everything so personal. If you want to read the explanation behind my handle, you can read the thread about usernames.

First, are you sure they are talking about people doing this mod on a 2012+ Civic Si? They really could be, but they make buddy club shifters for a few different cars and I really doubt that many people have this 2012+ Civic Si buddy club shifter yet given how new it is. It's not like an EK Civic where it's been out so long you can be like "oh yeah a thousand people have done it".

Anyway, if it only adds 1/2" to 5/8" then I guess it will fit. I really thought it was at least an inch. I can definitely see what they are saying about the stress on the cables or even the shifter assembly on the transmission.

Last edited:
You can try adding an adapter to the Buddyclub shifter to see how well the shifter cable sits.

And to add, a few 8thgen owners with the Buddyclub short shifter assemblies have broken their shifter shafts. The reason probably is because the shafts are made of cast aluminum compared to stock which is a steel material so the yield strength is much lower.

1375566042205.jpg

Back