Buddy Club Quick Shift Kit

My 2012 SI has been diagnosed as an oil burner - about 1 quart of oil per 800 miles! The issue has been recognized by Honda and requires replacement of the pistons and rings. Its a real pain in the *** and a big disappointment in the quality of Honda. I am currently in the process of "negotiating" with Honda, as I am not very satisfied with the dealer (quality of service work has been horrible) or the absolute minimum repair they are suggesting (for example, they won't replace the bottom end bearings, won't consider upgraded parts if I pay the difference, etc). Longer term I want to go turbo and will likely build an engine for that. I have been building performance engines as a serious hobby for over 20 years - so you can imagine my issues in this situation!

I get the reason why they won't allow internal aftermarket parts, as they still have to warranty the engine after the repair. I'm furious about the prospect of them only replacing the pistons and rings and not just swapping in a short block, or as you have stated, replacing the bearings. (and also the oil pump in my opinion.)

And yup, I'm a guzzler.. yet I'm right on the border of what they will not argue over whether it's excessive or not. Just changed my oil last Saturday, I've put 400 miles on the car checked it today and was down a third of a quart. Bitter. My 06 8th gen did not burn a SINGLE DROP. I'm going to have a harder road than most with this, as I bought mine used with 6k on it.

BTW Hondata Flash Pro + VitViper NA Ultimate e-tune bundle for sale. ($675 picked up or + shipping cost, PM me or wait until I post a thread in Xentrader and link to it in my sig.) I'll make a great deal considering that I can't flash the ECU until I am done fighting this, repairing the engine and then probably for 10-20k miles after that to make sure it does not re-occur and to make sure that no other issues related to the work that was done arise. Sigh. I short block assembly replacement would make me feel so much better.

Last edited:
I get the reason why they won't allow internal aftermarket parts, as they still have to warranty the engine after the repair. I'm furious about the prospect of them only replacing the pistons and rings and not just swapping in a short block, or as you have stated, replacing the bearings. (and also the oil pump in my opinion.)

And yup, I'm a guzzler.. yet I'm right on the border of what they will not argue over whether it's excessive or not. Just changed my oil last Saturday, I've put 400 miles on the car checked it today and was down a third of a quart. Bitter. My 06 8th gen did not burn a SINGLE DROP. I'm going to have a harder road than most with this, as I bought mine used with 6k on it.

BTW Hondata Flash Pro + VitViper NA Ultimate e-tune bundle for sale. ($675 picked up or + shipping cost, PM me or wait until I post a thread in Xentrader and link to it in my sig.) I'll make a great deal considering that I can't flash the ECU until I am done fighting this, repairing the engine and then probably for 10-20k miles after that to make sure it does not re-occur and to make sure that no other issues related to the work that was done arise. Sigh. I short block assembly replacement would make me feel so much better.

My dealer actually put up a fair amount of denial over the oil burning issue (accused me of not knowing how to read a dipstick) until I convinced them to do an oil consumption test. After a little over a thousand miles the oil did not register on the dipstick! No apologies from them, just "when can you get it in for the repair" and "our only obligation to you is to get it over the warranty period at the least cost to us." The dealer made it very clear that the would not honor any warranty if the car was modified. At least Honda was better to deal with, they said that the engine issue is now on my file and they will repair the engine at my convenience and with any dealer I choose to work with. When I suggested after market parts, I was also willing to waive any future warranty work related to the engine. Since I am planning to go turbo and void my warranty anyway....

Great price on the Flash Pro, but I am sorta in the same boat as you with a sick engine and warranty to deal with. I am hoping to find a dealer that is willing to go the short block route at least. In the meantime, I have decided to go with other mods including suspension, wheels, shifter, etc.

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to oil. Any tips for me to check this? I'm about to hit 1k miles

I'm kind of a noob when it comes to oil. Any tips for me to check this? I'm about to hit 1k miles

I check oil regularly and my civic every day now that I have the oil burning issue. Its the same basic routine, just check it in the morning and note the level on the dipstick. I park in my garage so the floor is level. The point is to be consistent, in my case the engine is cold and level each time I check the oil.

The oil consumption is really noticeable with city driving. For example, if I put a couple hundred miles on around the city I really notice the oil level drop on the dipstick - moves lower by about a quarter of the way between the dots.

Hope this helps!

That really does help a lot. I am going to start doing that and cross my finger's that I'm a lucky one. Is it more of a 2012 issue or both 2012 and 2013?

That really does help a lot. I am going to start doing that and cross my finger's that I'm a lucky one. Is it more of a 2012 issue or both 2012 and 2013?
I believe it only affected a subset of the 2012s. Honda described it as a problem with the rings and pistons supplied during the production of the 2012s. I assume yours is a 2013 so you should be just fine.

WP_20130604_014.jpgWP_20130604_015.jpgWP_20130604_016.jpgWP_20130604_017.jpgWP_20130604_018.jpgWP_20130604_019.jpgWP_20130604_020.jpgWP_20130604_021.jpgWP_20130604_022.jpgWP_20130604_023.jpg Shifter install pics.

The BD shifter already had the cap at the bottom of the shifter so that sped things up.

Thanks to Squiggy for the DIY.

WP_20130604_014.jpgWP_20130604_015.jpg

Kirk

Last edited:
Yup, I can feel the difference. I purposely did the cable bushings without the shifter and base bushings so I could assess them separately. Nice improvement, well made. 5 minute install if your already have a CAI or while you are installing a CAI / SRI. I want to try to do the shifter and base bushings today, I'm not sure if I will have the time but that is my plan.

Kirk

Yup, I can feel the difference. I purposely did the cable bushings without the shifter and base bushings so I could assess them separately. Nice improvement, well made. 5 minute install if your already have a CAI or while you are installing a CAI / SRI. I want to try to do the shifter and base bushings today, I'm not sure if I will have the time but that is my plan.

Kirk

Should only take a half hour if you are quick. An hour tops!

Back