Functional FB

I forget if you have a cat or not? How's the drone at 3000rpm?
It's not too bad. I think im use to it from my old setup on my Forester which had an STi mid-pipe with no resonator and a modified 2018 WRX muffler. Cruising in 5th or 6th around 3k its fairly quiet

my Forester which had an STi mid-pipe with no resonator and a modified 2018 WRX muffler.
Your Forester had dual muffler/quad tips? :think:

98P113-4.jpg

15295221917_e5cbc960ef_b.jpg

It's not too bad. I think im use to it from my old setup on my Forester which had an STi mid-pipe with no resonator and a modified 2018 WRX muffler. Cruising in 5th or 6th around 3k its fairly quiet
Is your downpipe catless?

That's not too terrible. Super thick though! Nice!
For sure, now Im waiting to get some wheels for them. Konig has a super good deal through their NASA program so Im most likely gonna do the Hypergrams in bronze whether I get them through their program or just pay full price through a vendor

Good News:
I partnered up with Konig Wheels through their NASA Sponsorship Program. You essentially get up to 2 sets of wheels per year at a huge price discount and all you need to do is send them 3 photos after every event, a 50-100 word recap after every event, and run their logo/sticker on 4 corners of the car. It doesnt say in the contract that I cant run other wheels for daily driving duty which would be what the Enkei's would be for, but I have also thought about selling them and just running another set of Konig's to kinda just keep the whole build uniform.

As for the wheels themselves, like I said above, I went with the Hypergrams. I tried to get the bronze but they are on backorder until March which would be cutting it a little too close to the first track weekend of the season, so I went with the matte black ones in 17x9 +40mm. To break up all of the black on the car, Im gonna do a "vinyl mod" on the wheels to mark where the valve stem is located. Everything should be here Monday and all I would be waiting on is new or used tpms sensors.

I also noticed yesterday that my rotors were looking extremely gross, corroded, rusty, etc. I have been meaning to replace them with some Stoptech slotted rotors but they always seem to be on backorder. Sooo, I bought some scalloped, slotted rotors from Wave Spec. These rotors are used by a lot of people that I know in the Subaru community for off-road, race/rally cars so they would have to be a pretty decent product. They were about $300 cheaper than Stoptech's and from testimonies of people running them, they last pretty long, dont eat through pads, dissipate heat really well, and are overall pretty good. Im taking a chance on these and I dont think anyone with a 9th or 8th gen civic runs them. Do I think that the scalloped design is a little gimmicky, maybe, but oddly enough, Audi uses a similar rotor design on their RS5 and RS7 cars, not to mention a lot of motorcycles have the same brake design. If its good enough for Audi, then its good enough for me.

IMG_8162_250x250@2x.jpg

This is from their site

Background
"Drawing from successful brake technology in highly competitive motorcycle racing and combining the need for compact brakes for rally racing, the WaveSpec rotor was developed to increase braking performance while simultaneously decreasing rotating mass."

Rotating Mass
"Our rotors reduce unsprung mass as well as moment of inertia. Commonly known as rotating mass, moment of inertia is the rotational equivalent of mass in Newton’s second law of motion. Most people are familiar with the linear version of Newton’s second law: F=ma, where Force equals Mass times Acceleration. In a rotating system, the formula is τ=Iα, where Torque equals Moment of Inertia times Angular Acceleration. Therefore, reducing the Moment of Inertia (MOI) is the angular equivalent of reducing mass.

The key to understanding MOI is that the farther away mass is distributed from the axis of rotation, the higher the moment of inertia is. MOI is calculated by multiplying the mass by the distance to the axis of rotation squared and is expressed by pound mass times inches squared (lbm*in^2). Since the distance component is squared, reducing mass at the outer edge of a rotating object such as a brake rotor has a much more significant impact on angular acceleration than reducing mass at the center of rotation.

On something like a brake rotor, calculating the MOI by hand is tedious since the mass distribution is not uniform. However, with modern Computer Aided Drafting and 3D modeling, the MOI can be calculated in tenths of a second. While any reduction of unsprung mass is highly desirable, the Wavespec design has an even more significant impact on MOI which directly translates to shorter stopping distances and improved acceleration."

Surface Area
"The Wavespec design increases the surface area to volume ratio which means that for the thermal mass, there is more surface area to transfer heat to the surrounding air. Surface area to volume ratio is calculated by dividing the surface area by the volume. In a sample physical analysis, we compared the surface area to volume ratio on an OEM design of 5.985/in with the Wavespec design, and the Wavespec design has a ration of 6.179/in which is a 3.2% increase."

Biting Edges
"An additional advantage of the Wavespec design is the number of leading edges the brake pad encounters as the rotor is spinning, which increases initial bite and keeps debris from accumulating between the pad and the rotor. The outer scallops create additional leading edges that also introduce cooling air contact to the outer pad surface. Since the outer edge of the pad encounters more material than the inner edge of the pad per revolution, the outer edge would normally heat up faster and the scallops negate that effect to ensure a more uniform temperature distribution across the pad surface. This effectively reduces the average pad temperature that ultimately results in extending the maximum operating temperature envelope of the pad."

Back